From mediawiki 1.23.2 PMMC (3) Wiki
| Welcome to the Phoenix Marine Model Club
We are sorry to say that club activities are curtailed until further notice during the current Coronavirus Pandemic. Please see the following links for more details
5 January 2021
- Monday evening 4th January 2021 the government announced a further national lockdown. See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-announces-national-lockdown Silvermere has now closed for the duration of the lockdown, with none of their facilities open. Please do not use the lake during this period. Stay safe and well.
4 January 2021
25 December 2020
- Tier 4 sailing - please observe the guidance and remember a maximum of 2 people socially distanced at the lakeside at any one time. Please make you fill in the track and trace book kept in the PMMC locker. Weather and lake conditions permitting bring your boats along for a general sail to greet the New Year. All boats and craft welcome apart from the usual club restrictions. Bring anything - electric, steam, sail and start the year the way we would like to continue.
20 December 2020
- As of 20th December 2020 Silvermere Lake was moved into tier 4 along with rest of Surrey apart from Waverley. The golf course and driving range are still open. There are facilities available including a limited takeaway food service. The government message is stay at home, but club members who are in Tier 4 can still use the lake for recreational use with one other member only. Please make sure you socially distance and complete the track and trace log in the PMMC locker. Please do not travel to the lake if you are outside of Tier 4.
2 December 2020
- PMMC Christmas Lunch cancelled- Unfortunately due to the restrictions imposed by Tier 2 Covid-19 actions, Silvermere - Inn on the Lake have advised us that they are unable to accommodate our group inside the restaurant. Although we could have dined outside on tables of six, we have decided given the current situation to cancel the event. We hope to be back for next year's event.
30 November 2020
- The current national lockdown will end on Wednesday December 2nd 2020. We will be returning to a Tiered system across the country, each area with it's own specified tier. Currently Silvermere in Surrey will be Tier 2. That means that we must follow all the guidelines and restrictions for that tier. For our club that means a return to sailing but a maximum of six, socially distanced, at the lake and continuing to use the diary for track and trace purposes. Please make sure you follow the guidelines published by the government here:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-list-of-local-restriction-tiers-by-area
26 November 2020
- Some of you may remember that there was a film crew at Silvermere earlier this year filming scenes for a documentary about the bouncing bomb, part of Operation Chastise (The Dambusters Raid) Silvermere was used by Barnes Wallis in the development of the 'Upkeep' bomb used on the raid. In 1942, Barnes Wallis and his secretary, rowing champion Amy Gentry, rowed out onto the lake where Wallis fired differently-shaped models from a catapult and Gentry then rowed to retrieve them. Later, in 1943, George Edwards, the manager of the Experimental department used the lake to demonstrate the mechanism for spinning and releasing the bombs.
Last updated: 2021-01-19